Re: Configuring Fedora Core 4 & USB Flash drives?

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 05:08 -0800, tlhackque wrote:

> Fedora Core 4.  Plug in a USB thumb drive.
> Successfully recognized by the kernel & a SCSI "drive" is created.
> But it doesn't get mounted put on the desktop.  CDROMs/DVDs do.  I
> have the desktop->preferences->removable drives->{mount drives when
> hot-plugged, media when inserted clicked.  A manual mount does work;
> the device then appears on the desktop as expected.
>
> So something in the hotplug chain is deciding not to
> do the mount.  I got lost in the hal/hotplug/automount scripts.
> Someone's been here before. What's the easiest way to track this down?
> (Or the recipe for configuring this device?)

Show us your /etc/fstab file.

I've just been experimenting with the same thing myself.  If I made no
entry for the drive in my fstab file, nor created the mount point
directory, the system took care of everything itself (including mounting
an icon on the desktop).  But if I did make an fstab entry, I had to
make one in the same fashion as it did (the auto-mounting routine), and
I had to create the mount point diretory, for it to work.

e.g. Here's mine:
/dev/flashdrive  /media/flashdrive  vfat  pamconsole,noexec,nodev,noauto,dmask=0002,fmask=0113,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t 0 0

(Note the fscontext details.  The mask options are just to suit my
needs; I don't want files with executable bits set.)

The flashdrive device was set up by a rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/.  I've
a "10-local.rules" file, in there, with this in it:
BUS=="scsi", SYSFS{model}=="USB Flash Driver", SYMLINK="flashdrive"

Some reference material about this:
<http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html>

I've almost got the mounting the way I want it.  What I don't want is an
icon on the desktop, or an entry in Nautilus, saying "131M Removeable
Media", I want to pick the name myself.  I haven't worked out where
that's set.

And why do I care about that?  Because my digital camera auto mounts
with almost the same title (128M instead of 131M).  I want names that
mean something to me.

I read messages from the public lists.