Re: Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

From: "Charles Howse" <chowse@xxxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Kam Leo" <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx>

On 12/28/05, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 19:58 -0800, Charles Heselton wrote:

[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles Howse

*Most* people answer, if they know.  Or
point if they can.  What I've found, is that at least 2 out of 3
times, when I go to google someone's problem, the answer is usually
in the top 10 links found.  For people that are particularly active
on lists, this can be frustrating.

yes. This is very true. And bear in mind that perhaps as much/as less as
50% of people in this list actually do take the time to solve the issues
for you. They're not support staff but they do it out of wanting to
help.

The manner in this the question is asked is also pertinent to getting
some answers. eg: They would have liked for the OP to at least have
researched the question by themselves (no spoon feed) with a min of
google (though of course the sequence/choice of search parameters will
make/break the query) and perhaps some archive searching. (eg: like me,
I have like 2 years worth of List archive which I consult before
shooting an email to the list. That and the fact that I don't have I-net
access at work, (only email ), so I make that clear as well.)

That's my 2 cents.

Much of this bashing would be alleviated if Red Hat, a publically held
and for-profit company, put some real effort into incorporating a
decent search engine for the archives.

Rumor has it that Google will search into the archives. Experience
bears out the rumors. (People who can tolerate Bugzilla also cite
using Google as a surrogate search engine for Bugzilla. That might
make that horrid, ugly, annoying tool (I'm being kind) almost
bearable, too.)

Would you please give an example of a Google search through this list's
archives?

Search for:
vncserver fedora-users

That should be a workable example.