Re: Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 21:37 -0600, Charles Howse wrote:
> I'd like to start a calm, respectful, reasonable discussion of the reasons
> that we tell people to RTFM, or reasons that people don't get their
> questions answered on mailing lists and usenet groups.
>
> I'm not complaining about anything or anybody, just wanting to start some
> discussion which might lead to more answers and less 'noise'.
>
> No one has been disrespectful to me, don't get the wrong idea.
>
> I personally am a former Microsoft Certified Professional in NT Server 4.0,
> have used operating systems including, PC DOS, MS DOS, OS/2 Warp, all
> flavors of Windows through XP Pro (except ME, which sucked sooo bad), Linux,
> FreeBSD, and currently, Mac OS X Tiger.
>
> I've administered networks consisting of hundreds of workstations and dozens
> of servers, installed lans and wans from scratch, taught Windows operating
> systems, software and networking.
>
> I feel that might just barely qualify me as knowing a little about
> computers, and I say that seriously...'a little'.
>
> There are a lot of things I don't know, and when I run out of research
> options, or get frustrated when all the troubleshooting solutions don't
> work, I'm heading for usenet or a mailing list, because time after time,
> that has been the resource that provided the solution.  A wise man once told
> me, "Someone out there has solved that problem, you just have to find them."
>
> I don't really know where to start, so here are some random thoughts...
>
> Maybe I got told to RTFM because I missed something in it?  Well, could you
> just politely point me to the section I missed, please?  Or give me a link
> to a howto or some html page where it is explained?
>
> Maybe the question has been answered in the FAQ for the list?  Just point me
> to it, you don't have to say anything else.
>
> I've seen lots of posts to this list and others with no subject or a subject
> that has nothing to do with the question, but the question was answered
> respectfully.  So, when I post with a good subject, one that will show up in
> a Google search, help me out.
>
> Many lists and groups regularly autopost the guidelines for posting, FAQ,
> and relevant howto pages, point me to those when necessary.
>
> Someone used the phrase 'spoon feed' recently.  I don't remember who, nor is
> it important, but what's wrong with a spoon full of sugar now and then?
> And why would you ignore a reasonable question unless you don't know the
> answer?
>
> I think the members of this list are mostly doing things the way I would
> like to see them done, but I also think we could all do better, eh?
>
> I don't mean to step on any toes, just want to start some discussion.
> Does anyone else have any thoughts on why questions don't get the respectful
> treatment they deserve?
----
1 - this is a voluntary list and thus responders offer their time
without compensation. No answers are to be expected at all.

2 - if you can concisely describe the problem, you are more likely to
get an answer. You are verbose which will always diminish the likelihood
of an answer.

3 - A few replies that state roughly, RTFM reflect the opinion of the
responder...it may or may not be fair, they are what they are.

4 - this is a high traffic list and sometimes messages are lost in the
deluge

5 - there is a general type of guideline for open source questions...

    It's harsh but pretty much on target

Craig