Re: PCI Wireless Cards

Mike Chambers wrote:
On Sun, 2005-12-25 at 13:07 +0530, Manish Kathuria wrote:

Is there any list of PCI Wireless Cards (802.11b/g) which are natively supported in FC3 / FC4 ?

Sounds like what I am thinking of buying myself.  At Walmart they have
some by Linksys.  I think Linksys usually supports open source for the
most part.  But I haven't seen them used yet.

I think linksys uses broadcom: it does in its access points & such. Broadcom is bad news.

prism54 is (maybe) fine, but see prism54.org. I have two working here, one on Ubuntu, one on Debian, but had one working in an FC2 beta. I'm a bit concernd though that these folk are working on reverse engineering the firmware. This would allow the devices to infringe on FCC regulations regarding power (potential nuisance) and frequency (infringe on licenced, maybe military, spectrum).

My laptop has builtin Atheros (madwifi) which just works in Ubuntu 5.04 (Breezy) and SUSE 10. FC users may need to build the driver themselves, but the source rpm works fairly well.

I'd give TI a miss: like Broadcom, the company's difficult. I'm not sure of the status of the drivers, they may work, but there are easier choices.

Atheros is my current favourite: I get 3.2 Mbytes/sec between it and my linksys WRT54G on big files using scp. With that speed, I rarely bother plugging in a wire to get more speed.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait