Re: how to schedule my task

Mike Chambers wrote:
On Sun, 2005-12-25 at 10:31 +0000, Navdeep wrote:

On cron i make a sch.cron file by writing 30 16 * * * /root/scheduler/schedule (my binary file path) and keep
this on root directory.

Try this..

30 16 * * * cd /root/scheduler; ./schedule &

See if that works.  You may change the time to at least see if it runs
correctly so you don't have to wait until 4:30 :)

As Great Buckets of Spam noted, that won't work because there's no display available.

Writing a GUI application to do interval-based work doesn't seem to me the best idea, but now it's done here are some ideas.
1.
vnc
vnc has the ability to run an X session without the user being logged in. The idea is that the user will connect some time (maybe but not necessarily using a Java-capable browser) to do some work. I could almost certainly run your application that way, providing we can agree a way to close it down. It wouldn't be interactive though.

2.
This might include the use of vnc.
Some calendar applications can run specific programs at set times. I used to use one on OS/2 - it was a standard program that came with OS/2 Warp. If you don't have a calendar that supports this, then you could build the scheduling into the application (it might simply test for the presence of a file every little while and rely on an external agent such as cron to create that file in a private place) and start it on boot in vnc.

I think displaying on an existing session (which might not exist; and which, in a multiuser environment could belong to almost anyone) is inherently bad.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait