Re: status of Palm Sync

> > > I just bought a Treo 650 and was looking for info about how to use it
> >with
> > > FC4 when I found the posting below which says FC4 is "completely broken
> >with
> > > respect to Palm syncronization". Is this supposed to be addressed in
> >FC5,
> > > or should I "downgrade" to FC3?  Has anybody synced a Treo with
> >Evolution in
> > > FC5-test1?
[snip]

> >Palm syn still broken. The latest packages might have solved the problem
> >for a couple of people, but at least in my case, I still need Mark G.
> >Adams' RPMs (see below) to get my Palm to sync.
> >I've given up on bug-reports.
> >Last time I counted, I found ~10 bugs related to udev ttyUSB, pilot-*
> >and gnome-pilot)
> >
> >I'm using the fix from:
> >http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/pub/people/mark_adams/
[snip]
B. I created a /etc/dev directory and created the two ttyUSB0/1 nodes by
hand, pointing all pilot devices to the static device entries. This
solves all udev problems.

This worked! It was weird... udev seemed to be creating the nodes (although it took a little while), but when I statically create the device entries, pilot-xfer is much happier. So far, all I've done is back up, but that's finally working. :) Now I'll try more complicated things like evolution sync.

I've had little luck with evolution. It seems to crash a little bit more often on startup since I've updated the pilot rpms... I don't know if that's just a coincidence or not. Evolution has always crashed 2x per day for me. One error I got was:

GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 160 (): error 'Device or resource busy' during 'pthread_mutex_destroy ((pthread_mutex_t *) mutex)'
aborting...
Multiple segmentation faults occurred; can't display error dialog

I managed to sync one contact. When I tried to sync my calendar, it started to do something and then I got a message on my Treo saying "The connecttion between your handheld computer and the desktop was lost. Some of your data was NOT backed up. gnome-pilot v.2.0.13."

Then a minute later on my computer: The application "evolution-exchange-storage" has quit unexpectedly. When I select "Inorm Devolopers" and select evolution, it says "This application has bug information, but Bug Buddy doesn't know about it. Please choose another application."

Then I get a message saying "Evolution tasks have quit unexpectedly"... then "evolution calendar has crashed unexpectedly".

The installed RPMs for evolution have newer version numbers than the ones on the http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/pub/people/mark_adams/ site, so I didn't install them... should I install them even though their version is older?

Thanks...

                            David