Fedora Boot Hangs

Hi,

I recently set up a machine as a PVR using Fedora Core 4 - kept up to date with yum

[mythtv@pvr ~]$ uname -a
Linux pvr.rajserv.lan 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4 #1 Tue Dec 13 21:32:09 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Hardware:
ASUS P5RD1-VM1 with a Celeron 2.66G processor (has an Azalia/Intel HDA sound card integrated)
Pioneer 16xDVDRW
Western Digital 160G drive (sata I)
512 M of RAM
Hauppauge PVR 350 Video Card

Everything works great except for two minor yet annoying issues.

Problem 1:
When I try to reboot the machine with a commercial DVD (Office Space for example) in the drive, the boot process hangs with the following message:

Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
/dev/hda: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 573177856: Input/output error

After taking the DVD out of the drive, everything works great (after a reboot). The DVD player works great as well and I am able to use it after boot without any issues. The funny thing is that it doesn't happen when I have DVD-R media with home made movie in the drive.

Problem 2:
In all cases, when I perform a cold boot - when initializing audio, the boot process hangs. Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL or the reset button seems to work and the next boot seems to work. This happens even after I disable the Azalia controller in the BIOS.

I don't think these problems are related - but I posted them together incase they are since the both happen during boot.

Any help would is appreciated,
Thank You,

Rajeev.