FC4 installation appears to disappear...?

Toshiba Tecra 9000  W/ FC3.

I attempted an upgrade from FC3 to FC4 using a set of CDs that pass both the sha1sum and "Media Check". The installation (upgrade) seemed to run to completion (Graphical install was used), but when I rebooted, I came up in FC3.

If I try to perform the upgrade again, the only options I am given are to perform a complete fresh install or "Upgrade and existing installation" [Fedora Core 4 (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00) ] and there is no indication of the older FC3 version. When I check "/boot", I do not see any indication of the new kernel. grub.conf does not contain the new kernel configuration either. "/root/upgrade.log" has a new date/time so it is being modified. Checking it only shows that Firefox was updated but it has a whole boat load of packages that are marked "available ...but NOT upgraded". ??!

When I let it do the Upgrade it very quickly tells me it needs to install Firefox-1.0.4 and then prompts me for Disk 2. After I feed it Disk 2 it announces it is doing the boot loader step, then that it is successful.... but still no joy on reboot.

I've not encountered this one. Can anyone shed some light on this and/or tell me if I can "force" the complete upgrade installation somehow? I'd just as soon not install from scratch at this time, if I can avoid it.

If the reinstall becomes inevitable, what do I tell it to use for "/" in Disk druid so I can have it reuse the existing partitioning? At this time it is configured with LVM and I am a complete novice there.

Or should I bide my time and wait for FC5 to hit the streets?

Thanks for any enlightenment or guidance.
/--R/