Re: Accessing Tape Drive on another linux system

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:

Tim wrote:

[snip]

What about doing it the opposite way?  Share the systems to be backed up
to the server, and have the server do a backup of their shared
resources.

A *very* sensible and workable solution.

You have to benchmark whether udp or tcp nfs performance is better than stuffing a bit-stream through a tcp pipe. I generally find that If I can use really large block sizes (say 2MB) that the pipe is faster, of course I'm also backing up tens of terabytes...

Read what I wrote about streaming tapes. To make sure that everything
got onto tape, I'd do a two-stage process. Eats a lot of disc, but
how much is your backup worth to you?

Tens of TB? Man!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.