Re: Accessing Tape Drive on another linux system

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:

Tim wrote:
On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 22:50 +0400, amar_padhi wrote:

requirement is simple. Two servers exist on RHEL 3.0. The tape drive
is connected to server B. The databases are on server A. We want a
direct access to the tape drive on server B from server A. This way we
will be able to do online backups direct to the server B tape drive
from server A databases. Redhat support informed that this is not
possible, i.e., tape drives cannot be shared across the network.

What about doing it the opposite way?  Share the systems to be backed up
to the server, and have the server do a backup of their shared
resources.

A *very* sensible and workable solution.

You have to benchmark whether udp or tcp nfs performance is better than stuffing a bit-stream through a tcp pipe. I generally find that If I can use really large block sizes (say 2MB) that the pipe is faster, of course I'm also backing up tens of terabytes...

joelja

Mike

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx