Re: new to Fedora Core 4

On 12/22/05, Nathan Low <nlow04@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To Whom It May Concern:

I'm thinking about switching to Fedorea Core 4.

Welcome in

If I buy Windows Crossover Office Standard 5.0,

You might want to hold off on that for awhile.

should Norton Goback 5.0 and Norton Utilities 2.002 be compatible with Fedora Core 4?

No. But that's  ok, you won't be needing those things.

  If I saved photos under Windows XP, can I copy and paste it from my cd to this operating system?

Yes you sure can. If you have a Fat32 partion on your computer, Fedora will be able to read them directly.

  If I can't copy and paste photos from my cd that I saved under Windows XP and transfer it to this operating system, does this Fedora Core 4 come with a program that I can scan and save photos as well as edit?

Yes it does, maybe too many.

  Does Fedora Core 4 come with utility programs like a disk defragmentor

You don't need that in Fedora (to put it very simply, it defrags itself)

, a spyware scanner

You don't need that in Fedora

, an anti virus program

While you don't really need that, Fedora doesn't come with one, you can get one for free.

& firewall program

Yes it does.  To be more precise you get a tool to configure the firewall that is 'embeded' in the OS

, a program that's similar to System Mechanic

 You won't be needing that

if Fedora Core 4 if I can't install System Mechanic, and a media player that plays audio and video clips as well as playing dvds?

There are tons of them. But you will have to do a little bit of configuration to get those media players to play patented audio formats, but that takes just a few minutes to do.

Can this operating system configure my video card

It should auto detect your VGA, please post your brand and model for confirmation

, my sbc dsl ! internet service

Whast type of DSL and internet service do you have? Chances are that will be the least of your problems.

, my speakers,

Speakers don't need configuration

my monitor

Normally yes

, my hp 2100c scanner

You may need some help with that if it doesn't happen automatically

, and my hp 3322 color inkjet printer?

Yes it  will have the drivers already , you won't have to install them

Please respond.  Thanks.

You're most welcome

Nathan