Re: mail server

Am Do, den 22.12.2005 schrieb azeem ahmad um 19:11:

> now i tell u by myself. i configured sendmail with dovecot IMAP, system's
> domain in DNS is set to zoni.com, i created a Unix user "must" on my this
> server box, i put zoni.com into my local-host-names file. now the user must
> can login to my email server through must@xxxxxxxx using MS outlook to send

Ah! You very certainly don't authenticate as must@xxxxxxxx, but as
"must". Check your SASL setup. By default your would use saslauthd,
which uses as MECH shadow or pam and strips the domain part
(@domain.tld) when not started with parameter "-r". Well, your system
user ist "must" and not "must@xxxxxxxx".

> and recieve mails to other users. then i tried to login using name
> must@xxxxxxxx and got loged in, while my dns or local-host-names doesnt
> contain any entry for must.com, this login with must@xxxxxxxx can send and
> recieve mails to/for must@xxxxxxxxx

See above.

> another thing is that if i try to send mail to must@xxxxxxxx while being
> loged in with must@xxxxxxxx, it doesnt send one.

Why do you try to send mails to someone in the net, to a domain you
don't control, just for testing purposes? If you try to send out test
messages to an external domain then first ask the recipient that it is
ok for him to await a test mail.

$ host -t mx must.com
must.com mail is handled by 100 mx1.must.com.

$ nslookup mx1.must.com
Server:         192.168.0.1
Address:        192.168.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   mx1.must.com
Address: 10.23.42.11

Well, that explains the last part.

> Azeem

Alexander

Serendipity 19:23:26 up 18 days, 0 users, load average: 0.67, 0.34, 0.22