Re: change in launcher behavior from FC3 to FC4

Dave Perry wrote:

    I just did an upgrade install of FC4 over FC3 on my Dell Latitude
    notebook. I can add launchers for programs that I installed from
    RPMs and they work. But if I add a launcer for a program that I
    compiled (./configure && make && Make install), the launcer dos
    not work. I select "Run in terminal" and the terminal window
    flashes for a fraction of a second and the app dies. Same exact
    response if I use "Run Application". The particular app is
    "fgrun", a gui front end for FlightGear. If I just type "fgrun" in
    a terminal, the app launhces, but the launcher does not work
    whether I put it in a pannel or on the desktop. This worked fine
    under FC3 on the same notebook. I just tried several other non RPM
    compiled apps and got the same results. Any ideas what changed
    from FC3 to FC4 that could cause this? Yes, I updated FC4 with a
    very lengthy "yum update".

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave P.

Richard England wrote:

Did you give a fully qualified path name to "fgrun" in your launcher or just the command "fgrun"? Where was fgrun installed? If it is not in a location referred to in your PATH environment variable, it may not be seen in the launcher....

fgrun is installed in /usr/local/bin andI added this to the path in .bashrc as
export PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/user/sbin:/usrlocal/sbin:/usr/local/bin.
As I said, fgrun works when launched from my home directory via the command line, either by just typing
fgrun
or by typing
/usr/local/bin/fgrun
but not with a launcher with or without the full path. This all works on several other FC3 systems. Thanks for the suggestions.
Dave Perry