Rebuilding kernel (2.6.14.4)

Guys, I've rebuilt this kernel so many times that I should have the
sources memorized by now and it's just not working.  I'm to the point of
frusteration that I'm ready to dig out the old Abacus!

Trying to rebuild a 2.6.14.4 kernel on a Dell PE1800 with a fresh
install of FC4.  Using the config files from /boot with no modifications
other than what make xconfig adds in for me.  Make install and
modules_install and reboot (in single user mode for what it's worth).
On boot up I get:

Red Hat nash version 4.2.15 starting
Mounted /proc filesystem
Mounting sysfs
Creating /dev
Starting udev
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
Mount: error 19 mounting ext3
Switching to new root
ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2
Error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
Error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 1
Error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 2
Unmounting old /proc
Unmounting old /sys
Switchroot: mount failed: 22

I've tried root=LABEL=/ and root=/dev/sda3 in /boot/grub/grub.conf both
to no avail.  Someone, please help me here!

-brian

Brian D. McGrew { brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx || brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx }
--
> Those of you who think you know it all,