Re: dhclient-3.0.2-26.FC4 broken ?

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 09:25, James Kosin wrote:

> I think you are right.  But, there is a growing majority that do not
> like using .255 as the IP.  Because this address is usually reserved for
> broadcast addresses and not for physical machines.
> That the case the script should be looking for an IP that ends in .255
> and not one that contains a 255 in the IP address.

The broadcast address depends entirely on the subnetmask used.  An
address ending in .255 can be valid for instance if you have subnetmask
that is less than 24 bits.  This is not something you would find in most
networks.  But I have seen at least one network where they utilized
switches to flatten the entire network.  Interesting result was the 3b2
systems arp caches started churning due to all the arp broadcasts.  Kind
of funny looking back on it now.