change in launcher behavior from FC3 to FC4

I just did an upgrade install of FC4 over FC3 on my Dell Latitude notebook. I can add launchers for programs that I installed from RPMs and they work. But if I add a launcer for a program that I compiled (./configure && make && Make install), the launcer dos not work. I select "Run in terminal" and the terminal window flashes for a fraction of a second and the app dies. Same exact response if I use "Run Application". The particular app is "fgrun", a gui front end for FlightGear. If I just type "fgrun" in a terminal, the app launhces, but the launcher does not work whether I put it in a pannel or on the desktop. This worked fine under FC3 on the same notebook. I just tried several other non RPM compiled apps and got the same results. Any ideas what changed from FC3 to FC4 that could cause this? Yes, I updated FC4 with a very lengthy "yum update".

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave P.