Re: rmdir when directory is not empty

At 4:06 PM -0500 12/20/05, John Kebbel wrote:
>My original posting for Re: rmdir when directory is not empty began...
>"The man page for rmdir left more questions than it answered." I cropped
>that line out of my email so I could get straight to the point. Now that
>I know we have a vocal RTFM crowd here, I'll make sure I NEVER again
>forget to mention I read the man first.
>
>I ran man rmdir > rmdir.txt so I could paste it here to show you why the
>man page left me puzzled. First, the only option that seems to address
>the issue is the option --ignore-fail-on-non-empty, which I typed out in
>full and also tried as just -i without results. (Maybe I typed it wrong
>one or both times.) Anyway, it wasn't till I copied and pasted here that
>I noticed that I have a truncated manual, that the full docs are in some
>other file.
>

>RMDIR(1)                         User Commands
>RMDIR(1)
>

>NAME
>       rmdir - remove empty directories

Right here you know that rmdir is not your answer, since your directory is
not empty.  By now, you know that rm is the answer.  If you had
successfully looked at info rmdir (info is a bear to just use), you would
have been pointed to the rm command.  The man rmdir page should have done
that as well, under See Also (feel free to file a bugzilla ;).  Finding the
command you want can be difficult.  Apropos can help (man apropos), as can
Google, or this list.  You may not have to ask a new question, as you can
search this list's archives through MARC:

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

or Google:

    <search terms> site:www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list

Searching the list at www.redhat.com does not work.