Re: Pentium 4 : is smp kernel mandatory ?

Patrick Barnes wrote:
> You are free to uninstall the SMP kernel packages.  Unless you have
> multiple processors, you'll actually get better performance using the
> 'normal' kernel.  If your processor has 'hyperthreading' or a similar
> feature, you might want to consider disabling it.  Hyperthreading will
> look like multiple processors to the kernel, and the SMP kernel will try
> to take advantage of it, but this will actually usually result in a
> small performance hit, depending upon how you use your system.  Without
> the SMP kernel, you will get no benefit at all from the hyperthreading
> technology.

I'd be interested to hear what you base this on.

As I understand it, performance with or without hyperthreading on a
Pentium 4 depends on what you're doing to it and (to an extent) the age
of the system (it took Intel a while to really tune hyperthreading).

But hyperthreading is supposed to speed up a system, and often does.

Many people have reported interactivity benefits (the system responds to
interaction faster) even without seeing a total throughput benefit. So
for example, compressing a number of sound files while watching a video
might take the same time with or without hyperthreading, but (for
example) screen updates might be faster with hyperthreading.

Some sites that back my position:
http://www.2cpu.com/articles/41_1.html
http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2213&p=5

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "It has taken 24 years to get the Reichstag wrapped.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Chancellor Kohl said it would only be wrapped over