Pentium 4 : is smp kernel mandatory ?

Hi,

I have Pentium 4 and installed both version of kernels (standard and smp)
under Fedora-4, but do I need the smp version ?

Reason: I use vmware and notice that the re-compile of needed modules don't
work under smp version (path errors or missing include files) but works fine
with the standard kernel version.
So I would like to use (and update via yum) only the standard kernel version
to simplify use of vmware under new kernels.

Bye,
Bruno