machie check log

Would someone please tell me what software is responsible for logging the mce's, how it is initiated and name an location of the log file?

I looked in /var/log and didn't see anything obvious. I receive a "machine check events logged" error message on some disk IOs. The /dev/mcelog file does exist, but I do not now how to trace the path any further.

Thanks
don