Re: Is Redhat/Fedora Losing Interest in KDE?

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
On 12/16/05, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To be fair before the partisan stuff , Gnome and Nautilus has improved a
lot since the last time I really tried it in RH9 days.

For many years I was Gnome Gnome Gnome; but starting with FC4 last
year I have seriously only been KDE KDE KDE.

Why?  Mainly because I see forward movement in KDE on multiple
platforms (the primary that I use Debian and FC mainly.)  And I see
foreward movement in development efforts to help other programmers "get into" Open Source development using KDE and related tools -- I do
not see this in Gnome and the lord knows I spent almost 30 minutes
trying to explain cross platform code compatibilty to a IT306 SDLC
student -- his question?  Where the hell was the GTK for Windows and
why does it seem hidden?  Until last night he was a big fan of Gnome
-- but I assigned a cross platform software project that must be
designed on Windows; tested on i366 FC4 and targeted for a PPC FC5
system.

What has this got to do with whether one uses KDE or GNOME on his
desktop? I run one (1) one KDE app on my otherwise GNOME machine,
K3b. It runs just fine with GNOME. Using KDE toolkits or GTK
toolkits is really an entirely separate issue from whether one
or the other GUI is a better interface for some particular user,
for use in administering his machine.

In any case, good software design puts the system dependent
parts in well-sequestered places, and not splattered all over the
code. Anyone designing code intended to be run on a diversity
of platforms isn't going so much to care which ones he's targeting
as how many. "More than one" means a lot more than which one.

At any rate I have gotten more use out of KDE -- and people use what
is more useful for them.

Now there's a statement all can agree with. You make a statement
about yourself, and about people. No one can vouchsafe what you
say about yourself, and the latter is self-evident. (For reasonable
people, anyway.)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.