Re: How to backup root filesystem the correct way....

--On Thursday, December 15, 2005 4:08 PM -0800 "Daniel B. Thurman" <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

someone here told me that using
dump/restore is not the preferred way and said that Torvald quoted
that tar is better than D/R because it is not maintained nor current and
may be fraught with failures.... and recommended that TAR be used.

dump is well-maintained. The mailing list has been quiet lately but I attribute that to a stable product. The maintainer answers questions quite quickly.

<http://dump.sourceforge.net/>

I use dump nightly to backup an FC2 box to a Win2003 server using Samba (smbfs). (The latter has the tape drive. But I may move the drive to the Linux box and reverse the backup relationship.)

An answer to Torvalds:

<http://dump.sourceforge.net/isdumpdeprecated.html>

The root filesystem should be quiet enough for dump. It's /var you need to worry about.

If your objective is a filesystem copy from a read-only source, using the rescue disk to boot from, as Steve Ringwald suggests, is a good idea. In addition to Steve's suggestions, you could use dump and restore in a pipeline.