Re: How to backup root filesystem the correct way....

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
I am familiar with the unix dump and restore programs from my hey-dey
and system admin used these for backing up individual filesystems to tape
using these programs. But apparently, someone here told me that using
dump/restore is not the preferred way and said that Torvald quoted
that tar is better than D/R because it is not maintained nor current and
may be fraught with failures.... and recommended that TAR be used.

Geez....

Well since I have a /boot problem, i.e. I blithely used a partition of /, including
/boot and a seperate partition for swap (i.e. two partitions) of which my BIOS
may eventually fail to see /boot, so I need to correct this mistake. But before I do,
I need to backup my main boot drive by copying its contents to my 2nd drive
so that I can recover if all hell breaks loose.

So...
When I used /tar this way:

tar zcvf root.tgz -C /<second-disk> /

It appears that everything gets tarred up but there are many errors
put out (such as sockets and such) but eventually after a long time,
the final error at the end (whereever that may be) reports:

Hmm... cryptic as heck. But the bottom line is that there is no
guarantee that all the files are being properly backed up.  Seems
that this is very unreliable.

Perhaps I should just use dump | restore to backup the filesystem
to another filesystem (disk) would be better?  What is the reccommended
way to backup the root disk to my second backup disk?
Daniel,

Well, what I would do is boot off the rescue image on the install cd.

Partition the destination disk (I would use fdisk and mkfs.ext3/mkswap) then mount those partitions as /destination, /destination/boot, etc. Mount your src partitions in a src directory (or whatever) /src, /src/boot, etc.

Then go to the source directory and type:

find . | cpio -pmd /destination (or you could use rsync, or tar -cvp)

Then all you need to do is install grub on the destination drive, update your /destination/fstab, and delete /destination/{mtab,blkid}*.

Unmount the partitions, powerdown, pop out the source drive, and the destination should be good to go.

Hope that this helps!
Steve