Re: GAH! Kernel release 2.6.14-1.1653_FC4 caused me problems!

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Daniel B. Thurman writes:

I have everything installed in a single large partition.  Why is it,
that this was not a problem in the previous releases until now?  Why

Because your previous kernels' images happen to exist on the disk below the BIOS server's limit.

the requirement that /boot be in it's own partition?  This makes no
real sense to me

That makes perfect sense. This is the only way to guarantee that the individual files on those partitions will not fall outside of the BIOS-imposed limit.

OK, I just got stunned by this. I'm not making /boot partitions since I started using grub. I always that the grub could manage anyway with kernels installed beyond the cylinder 1024.

How bad am I without /boot partition on a, say, P4 Xeon on an Intel motherboard (bought a couple on months ago) with 2 SATA discs of 200GB?

--
 18:02:25 up 4 days,  9:57,  5 users,  load average: 1.59, 1.57, 1.62
Lic. Martín Marqués | SELECT 'mmarques' || Centro de Telemática | '@' || 'unl.edu.ar';