Monitoring disk activity by process ID

Is anyone familiar with a way of breaking down real-time disk activity stats (reads & writes over time) by the specific process ID's that are accessing the device in question? Every utility I can think of aggregates R/W activity at the device level and there's no obvious way to show who (that is, exactly which process or thread) is doing what to cause the reads & writes. I'm particularly interested in coming up with an easy way of monitoring exactly what process might be causing spikes in disk activity as they occur. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--ted
Ted Markowitz
Chief Architect, Cognosys LLC     http://www.cognosys.net (WWW)
203-655-2400 (phone/fax)          203-984-6565 (cell)
tjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx (e-mail)         TJMarkowitz (AIM)