Should the USB subsystem unmount a disk when disconnected?

Using 2.6.14-1.1644_FC4smp:

When plugging in a USB disk the hotplug system, at least I think it's the hotplug system, creates a mount point for the disk. Sometimes it creates an Icon on my desktop and sometimes not. Why is this behavior not consistent?

Also, if I pull the USB disk out withoug unmounting it, the device does not unmount and remove the mountpoint. Now if I plug it back in it creates a second mount point. Is this the desired behavior? Shouldn't the disk unmount and the mountpoint go away. I bring this up from the perspective of a casual user that might not know you have to unmount a device. I have seen, when it does create the desktop icon, several of them accumulate on the desktop which is quite annoying. You have to remove some entries from fstab when this occurs and a user certainly can't do that.

Thanks

Doug P