Re: Security hole

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 13:58 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:

> I have noticed that from SLAX liveCD, one has total and free access to
> the home partition of all Linux (Fedora) accounts in the hard-disk of
> the computer. In this way, with a SLAX disk, everyone can spy all
> accounts in the hard-disk. How can this be prevented?

Only by encryption.

Most operating systems only provide some sort of security that makes it
difficult for someone else to log on.  If you can log on, or you can
avoid using that OS, you can read the files.

Usernames and passwords are pretty much like keys to enter private
rooms.  All they do is make entry difficult.  They do nothing to
directly protect the contents.

I read messages from the public lists.