Console powersave state

Does anyone know how to put monitor into powersave mode? What I have figured
out so far is that
# setterm -blank 1
would result in putting monitor into powersave mode in 1 minute of inactivity.
The command actually produces a sequence if "\E[9;1]", where "1" is number of
minutes. So you could redirect the output to any tty via /dev entry.

Thus I think a sequence to put the monitor into powersave immediately should
exist.

Also I have figured out that putting any number >3
to /sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank will do the job, however I have absolutely
no idea what the number are supposed to mean.

Any ideas?