Re: moving /home

Pl, allow me to clarify, in fact I was doubtful while writing it but instead dashed -
There is nothing like /dev/sda1/home     I thought, it would be obvious (my mistake), actual writeup should have been

"U shifted them to the root of /dev/sda1 rather than to folder /home in /dev/sda1"

Please, please, correct me if I am wrong, in plain one word (capital allowed) and more -
{
Will it work as 'home" from the root of /dev/sda1 when mounted in fstab and treated (attempted to be) as "home" for Linux purpose.
U C, a conflict here itself, there cannot be two line with entries of / in fstab for second field, (fs_file).
Also, home is a reserved name (~variable?) like usr etc proc bin "/" sys boot var ... ... ; and lot of things default to them.
Suppose I want to announce contents in folder named pqrs as the "home", I mount it and edit fstab, it still is not "home". What makes it home is this reserved name and it can be placed anywhere in file system, mounted as /../../../home (most common place being /home of a suitable partition), announce it in fstab and be used for all the intended defaults of Linux.
}

PS: Please, don't bring out swords, we are playing with nails! and learning something; also lets laugh at this little joke - Haha..haha - just to chill , lets play folks..

On 12/5/05, Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon December 5 2005 1:57 am, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 09:15 +0530, Anil Kumar Sharma wrote:
> > Hello CJ,
> > After my last post I had to dash to bed - it was getting close to
> > early morning Monday!
> > I think I spelled correctly about shifting your files. But I am afraid
> > U shifted them to the root of /dev/sda1 rather then than
> > to /dev/sda1/home.
>
> He does NOT want them at /dev/sda1/home, but does want them at the root
> of /dev/sda1
> /dev/sda1 will be mounted at /home so the current contents of /home MUST
> be at the root of /dev/sda1

I think you just struck the missing conceptual nail on the head! See later in
the thread if curious....

--
Anil Kumar Shrama