Re: Installation Question

Ali Helmy kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika perjantai, 2.
joulukuuta 2005 16:33):
>  What does that mean? do you mean I HAVE to create a new
> partition? I mean i have already around 6GBs of free memory on
> the C partition, and that is the only partition I have.

Unused space on a Windows partition is already reserved for the
use of Windows, it's not free to be used for Linux installation.

> Do i
> have to re-align these 6 gigs to be a new partition on their
> own?

You must shrink your Windows partition to create free,
unpartitioned space on the disk.

> Can't linux installation just manage it and do the work
> (ie: create partition, format and install)

Yes, after you have manually created the space necessary for
that. Fedora installer won't resize your existing Windows
partition.

> One more question, if i do have to do the above mentioned
> manually, any ideas how i can do it without losing the rest of
> the data on the partition, ie without losing the data other
> than the 6 gigs?

Use commercial tools like Partition Magic or Acronis Disk
Director, or the free NTFS Resize program:
http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka@xxxxxx