Re: vulnerability of Linux

Steffen Kluge wrote:
On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 13:48 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:

FC5 beta 1 installed a kernel on my laptop that does not boot. While this is a beta and all bets are off, it's perfectly possible that the same thing could happen in released versions of Fedora Core.

The installer routine of kernel RPMs always inserts new kernels at
position 0 into grub.conf. It won't change the number of the default
kernel, though. I always have my current kernel in a position other than
0. That way, I'm never booting a new kernel by default. I try a new
kernel when I have time to deal with issues and then make it the
default.
If you're booting number 1 and insert a new number 0, then what happens?

The old number 1 becomes 2, the old 0 is the new 1.

Isn't somthing broken here?

That aside, I think Fedora changes to boot the new kernel regardless of what you do in menu,lst. Unless you fiddle in /etc/sysconfig/kernel, and Steffen wouldn't be alone in overlooking that.

If not Fedora, then EL.

--

Cheers
John