Re: vulnerability of Linux

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 13:48 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> FC5 beta 1 installed a kernel on my laptop that does not boot. While
> this is a beta and all bets are off, it's perfectly possible that the
> same thing could happen in released versions of Fedora Core.

The installer routine of kernel RPMs always inserts new kernels at
position 0 into grub.conf. It won't change the number of the default
kernel, though. I always have my current kernel in a position other than
0. That way, I'm never booting a new kernel by default. I try a new
kernel when I have time to deal with issues and then make it the
default.

Cheers
Steffen.