Re: Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Douglas Phillipson wrote:

Temlakos wrote:

At the risk of sounding like a former president of the USA in one of his
more inglorious moments--it depends on what the meaning of the phrase
"out-of-the-box" is. /No/ wireless card, AFAIK, will work without /some/
form of kernel module or driver wrapper to address it.

I have a HP Pavilion with Centrino. The wireless seems to be, according to dmesg output, a Intel PRP Wireless 2200/2915. It works fine with Knoppix (V 4.0.2) and when I install knoppix to the hard drive it works fine. But with FC4, I get a ipw-2.2-boot.fw "load failed".

The driver is in the kernel, but you need the firmware.

you can get it here:

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

All I had to do was "yum install ipw2200-firmware". I wish this had been in a FAQ somewhere. Why doesn't Fedora ship with the firmware if the driver is in the Kernel?

Doug P