Re: Please suggest a fedora core 4 compatible wireless card

Matt Morgan wrote:
On 11/25/05, Douglas Phillipson <dougp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What wireless cards work with FC4 out of the box?  I'd rather not have
to install any drivers.  Please use common names, not chipsets in

Thank you, I really appreciate your help

I've had good success with

Cisco Aironet 340 and 350
SMC2632W V.2
Intel Centrino, AKA Pro/Wireless 2100 and 2200

But there are lots of others, so wait on everyone else's responses ...

You should also check the list archive, since this issue comes up a
lot. The easiest one to use is at

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

After doing some research I discovered all I had to do was install the firmware with yum. (yum -y install ipw2200-firmware)

Why doesn't Fedora install this with the distribution? If the driver is in the kernel, why isn't the firmware on the CD? Might I suggest that this bit of knowledge be put on the Unofficial Fedora FAQ? I actually tried to contact that FAQ, but the link for contributing doesn't seem to work. The "Email me" link on the FAQ doesn't point to an email address, just a page with no useful contact info.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Doug P