Re: FC4 - KVM mouse needing reset

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Doug Coats wrote:

NO flame war intended..

Why should I get rid of a piece of hardware that other (Fedora and
Windows) OS's seem to work just fine with.  Doesn't it make more sense
to discover the problem in FC4 (although others have reported this
problem in of FC's I have not experienced them).

my belkin soho usb kvm was a piece of junk on windows as well... The root problem with this thing was that instead of simply connecting the keyboard and mouse through the usb hub to the computer it is actually emulating a keyboard and mouse inside the kvm, then doing some translation between the actual mouse/keyboard and the emulated (ps/2 kvms do the same thing). The end result being that all the extra functionality of my logitech wireless desktop never worked. on linux or windows or my mac.

The attitude of replacing hardware to fix a software issue seems
extreme and wasteful.

The problems with the belkin soho go well beyond software, though the fact that the firmware on the kvm is upgradeable sort of adds insult to injury, because they could fix it). I decided that keyboard switching of machines wasn't necessary and went with a usb kvm that didn't try and fake what was connected to it, and I'm much happier.

My suggestion is get rid of
the Belkin - get a Trendnet or Iogear - others have been recommended as well
- but, get rid of the Belkin. It will just be a source of aggravation till
you do.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx