Axis 1.3 installation issues on Fedora Core 4

I have installed Axis 1.3 on FC4 using the gcj compiled components
(jvm, tomcat5) and mostly everything works.  There are two issues that
I'd like to resolve just because ...

The first is that happyaxis reports a warning about not being able to
find the org.apache.xml.security.Init class.  I grabbed xmlsec (1.3)
from the Apache XML web site and put it into the tomcat5
webapps/axis/lib directory and restarted tomcat. catalina.out then
reports SEVERE errors.  Since this is not a critical issue I moved
xmlsec.jar out of the picture and continued but it would be nice to
know if there is an easy fix.

The second issue is that a compiler is not being found.  On the
http://localhost:8080/axis page is a link to EchoHeaders.jws (WSDL).
I clicked on this link to get an Axis error page that reports no
compiler is found on the classpath.  I tried adding a link to
/usr/lib/jvm/java/lib/tools.jar into the tomcat5/common/lib dir but
this did not solve the problem.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

-pmr