Re: OpenOffice crashing randomly

Rudolf Kastl wrote:
2005/11/21, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Ambrogio wrote:

Il giorno sab, 12/11/2005 alle 16.58 +0200, Dotan Cohen ha scritto:

Since the pgrade to OO2, we have random crashes in Writer. As they

Hi,
on some other messages in the list I read that it's better to remove OOO
from fedora and install OOO from the official site.

It seems not to solve the problem, even if the crashes are less
frequent.
It hurt a lot becose it's not possible to recovery and all the changes
are loss.

But I noted that disabling all about the auto spell check seems to solve
the problem.

I had a Calc opened for 10 hours without a crash, and the same file with
speecheck enabled crashed randomly in few minutes.

I hope it is usefull for all fedora users, and who had opened the
bugzilla to OpenOffice team can try to tell them this info.

By

I have seen crashes on the same document in 25 seconds and 3 hours.
Same machine, same document, same configuration.  It is random so your
test may or may not show the problem.

I have seen the application just die while working on something else.

Did you try the official version from openoffice. org?

how to debug linux software:

1. install debuginfo packages for the components you want to debug

2. run gdb with em, heres a sample session:

gdb /path/to/binary <- opens the binary with the debugger
run <- starts the binary in the debugger
<comment> if it halts during execution without giving a backtrace use
the command "cont" over and over again until it really
crashes.</comment>
bt <- once you reached the crash situation this command will show you
the backtrace. thats what developers need to see what went wrong.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl

p.s. if you have more questions about how to go for it just ask away
in this thread.

I actually have ran a backtrack on the crash, well my wife has and it was the same as reported already.

Using gdb is slow for her to start and she doesn't like it so she won't use it.

If I could automate it and give her an icon to start OOo under gdb, it would be great. Until then, it isn't going to happen.

FWIW, on Sunday, OOo ran for over three hours without crashing well she was writing.

I am learning about the debugger when I have time. I like the idea as I used to use strace in the past.
Robin