Re: Granting su rights to users? Using PAM and Kerberos...

On Tue, November 22, 2005 7:12 am, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> Hmm..  I enabled Kerberos and setup pam files to use kerberos
> authenications, and I also added root principal (root@REALM) but I am still
> being prevented as a normal user to use 'su'

I am running FC4 with Kerberos and regularly use su (aswell as ksu).

> I have been all over google and tried to find a solution but there
> was none to be found.  I did see for BSD that you can use the kdb_edit
> command to add per user , root permissions but I think that is for
> Kerberos IV only.

Do your system logs show anything? In particular /var/log/messages and
/var/log/secure.

> I am beginning to wonder if kerberos is even worth it anymore or
> if it is being replaced with something else like the Directory Service? No
> one seems to be talking much about kerberos in this newsgroup so it seems.

Kerberos is worth it IMO, as it is the only solution to provide single
sign on under Linux or UNIX systems.

> Anyway - can someone please shed some light here so that
> I can at least su root as a normal user?
>

> Kind regards,
> Dan Thurman

Cheers,

Dan