Re: tightening ssh

oleksandr korneta wrote:

on 11/19/2005 07:47 AM Claude Jones wrote:

I've been reading up, and talking up, various security strategies. One thing that is striking to me in looking at logs for my servers are the endless ssh probes that go on. It appears to be one of the most common. Up till recently,

http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/

<quote>
DenyHosts is a script intended to be run by Linux system administrators to help thwart ssh server attacks.

If you've ever looked at your ssh log (/var/log/secure on Redhat, /var/log/auth.log on Mandrake, etc...) you may be alarmed to see how many hackers attempted to gain access to your server. Hopefully, none of them were successful (but then again, how would you know?). Wouldn't it be better to automatically prevent that attacker from continuing to gain entry into your system?
</quote>

I'm using it for couple months. Simple installation, couple minutes for modification of config file and it works like a charm.

I was just running through the responses to this thread to see if anyone had suggested this application.

Granted it is a defense which is somewhat "after the fact" but it does and has blocked quite a number of onslaughts on servers i maintain - having noted almost 200 attacks on one particular server since installation a couple of months ago.

I too am interested in finding other ways to protect rather than defend.

--
*Trevor "TeC" Christian*
/TeC Productions Studios/