Re: Problem with SCSI scanner

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 10:54 -0800, Bob Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 11:09 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > Bob Taylor wrote:
>
> > > I didn't check because it *was* loaded. I had a power outage and now it
> > > was *not* there! I think Red Hat's new system of overwriting files sucks
> > > big time.
> >
> > Which file do you suspect has been overwritten?
>
> /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> > > How can I keep this module in /etc/modprobe.conf? Fix whatever
> > > is not keeping it in?
> >
> > Try adding "modprobe sg" to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> I consider this a hack, Paul. However, I have done so. I *know* it was
> in /etc/modprobe.conf because the scanner *was* working. The only thing
> that happened since I last used it was the power failure leading to a
> reboot.

AFAIK, entries in modprobe.conf only identify the types of hardware you
have (e.g. sound and network cards); they don't directly cause any
modules to load. If there's a way of adding an entry to modprobe.conf
that will cause the sg module to get loaded, I'd like to know what it
is.

modprobe.conf probably gets overwritten by kudzu when it detects a
change in hardware. If you don't want the file clobbering, you could try
turning off the kudzu service.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>