odd windows behavior in gnome

Hi All,

	I use a biological simulation package called NEURON in my work.  The
people who developed this software have remained committed to open
source for many years and have avoided incorporating any commercial
elements in the code.  (Somehow, they've also managed to maintain Unix,
Windows, and old Mac versions.)  The graphics module of NEURON is still
based on an ancient (but completely "free") package called InterViews
that sometimes behaves oddly.  I use these NEURON/InterViews graphics
constantly to display a lot of small windows containing run-time graphs
and parameter settings
	With FC4 using the KDE desktop environment, everything works normally.
	But when I run NEURON under gnome (the environment I'd like to try
using), the currently active window refuses to remain on top of the
others and actually slides UNDER its neighbors when I move it, behaving
exactly opposite to the way it should!
	Has anyone seen something like this before?  Does this seem like a
windows manager problem peculiar to whatever it is gnome uses?  What
would be a good place to start looking for a solution (other than the
obvious one of staying with KDE, of course....)
	Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jerry