Re: Unable to start Clamav

--On Monday, November 14, 2005 10:34 AM +0000 Sharon Kimble <skimble04@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have just installed clamav from extras, very specifically ;-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clamav-data.i386 0.87-1.fc4
clamav-lib.i386 0.87-1.fc4
clamav-server.i386 0.87-1.fc4
clamav.i386 0.87-1.fc4
clamav-update.i386 0.87-1.fc4
clamav-devel.i386 0.87-1.fc4
and have then gone to the 'Service Management' gui to start it off, but
there  is nothing there for clamd nor freshclam.

Read the README in /usr/share/doc/clamav-server-*. It explains how to set up the service scripts for the Extras version of clamd. It looks complicated, but it really only takes about 10-15 minutes to copy all the config files and create the symlinks. You need to do this for each client of clamd. (I did it for MIMEDefang, and it was pretty straightforward.)

For freshclam, look at the crontab file in /etc/cron.d. You also need to edit /etc/freshclam.conf to comment out the Example entry and set your regional DNS name to use to check for new data files, and set the policy for time to check.