Re: syslogd quesstion

Please don't top post, and take the time to trim your replies.  For
excellent reasons why, please see here:

  http://www.massey.ac.nz/~tameyer/writing/quoting.html

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 12:49:46PM -0500, Mike Burger wrote:
> On Sun, November 13, 2005 6:29 am, Nikhil wrote:
> > But this is not the same on Solaris, as I do get them on a Solaris '
> > syslog
> > . Why this should not be the case with Linux as well ?

Well, personally I would find it annoying, as it adds a lot of mostly
useless information to each logged message, which makes it harder to
read.  If I really care what facility and priority something is logged
at, I can separate all the messages into separate log files based on
facility and priority.  But in 10 years of professional system
administration, I've never found a case where knowing the facility and
priority of messages logged to syslog was particularly useful...

> Perhaps Solaris isn't using a gnu syslogd?  Perhaps Sun compiles their
> syslog differently?

For the record, the Linux syslogd is not a GNU program at all...  it
is derived from the orginal BSD Unix sources.  The licenses are
incompatible.

> The fact is that it is different...it's not Solaris, it's Red Hat or
> Fedora Core.

Exactly.

--
Derek D. Martin