Re: syslogd quesstion

But this is not the same on Solaris, as I do get them on a Solaris ' syslog . Why this should not be the case with Linux as well ?

On 11/12/05, David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A. <d.tonhofer@xxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
I'm pretty sure that there is no way to set up the format without changing syslogd's
code (which is probably not hard to do, BTW).

But if you want to know the 'facility' you can trivially log into different
files depending on the facility. This is want I do. In /etc/syslogconf:

----8<---------------------8<------------------------
#
# We do not need to synch the logs after each line, not even
# the kernel log, which logs a lot of stuff about iptables. Sure,
# we may los stuff if a crash occurs, but we gain speed.
# -> Prepend '-' before the file. See man syslog.conf
#

auth.*          -/var/log/auth_log
authpriv.*      -/var/log/authpriv_log
cron.*          -/var/log/cron_log