Re: FC4 RAID1 DegradedArray event

Bruno, your guess was correct. I downloaded the ISO Seatools from the seagate website and booted of a CD. The drive failed the diagnostics by reporting alot of 'bad sectors'. The utility suggested to format the drive using zero fill method... I am not sure how to do this.. but again I havent googled around either.

What was interesting though was when both drives where connected I was not able to hot add sda[1..14] to the raid array, but when I physically removed sbd and placed sda on sata0 it was able to boot. Even though it booted and recovered some journals it had not synced data for the previous 4 days. Running the utility again revealed that the drive still had uncorrectable data errors..thus needing a "Zero fill" format.

I am returning the drive to the vendor as they have the ability to replace it for me within 24hours... which suits me just fine,, but it would be nice to know how it is possible to format using the above mentioned method. Bruno you mentioned dd.. I am not sure what this does.

George

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 10:05:28 +1000,