Re: Scared by the high traffic in the maillist

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 09:33 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Why don't you change your preferences for the list to "digest"?
> You'll get a single message each day that's a digest of all of the
> messages that flew by that day.  You can peruse them to your heart's
> content.

I think you'd need to have a very poor mail client, in the first place,
to make it more convenient to use the mess that's a digest post instead
of individual messages.

You're forced to scroll through one huge page, trying to find anything
of interest, rather than being able to pick and choose from the list of
what's available.

To be honest, for high volume message lists, news groups are the best.
You've got clients which can sort by thread, automatically purge old
articles, only show the most recent (allowing you to find slightly
older, not yet purged messages, but not always have to wade through
them), ignore and watch threads, and, probably most importantly, be able
to post without having to expose an e-mail address to spam.

All but the last can easily be done with some mail clients, but they
just don't seem to bother to give you those features.

I read messages from the public lists.