Re: Getting a TON of IP attacks... Request for Open-Sourced IDS program

On 11/10/05, Mike Klinke <lsomike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2005 11:12, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>
> > Please let me know of your security experiences and
> > recommendations!
>

> See if this will fit your needs:
>
> www.snort.org
>
> It won't automatically send abuse reports, though, as that is
> generally considered a rather bad idea since it can be abused once
> discovered.

Also consider Prelude for a hybrid solution

"Prelude benefits from its ability to find traces of malicious
activity from different sensors (Snort, honeyd, Nessus Vulnerability
Scanner, Samhain, over 30 types of systems logs, and many others) in
order to better verify an attack and in the end to perform automatic
correlation between the various events.

Prelude is commited to providing an Hybrid IDS that offers the ability
to unify currently available tools into one, powerful, and distributed
application."

- From http://www.prelude-ids.org/

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP