Re: sound problem -- fixed

I'll keep that in-mind Gerhard if i come into problems Mick Wright ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerhard Magnus" <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: sound problem -- fixed

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 22:28 +0100, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
On Wednesday 09 November 2005 21:56, Ingemar Nilsson wrote:

> Anand Buddhdev <arb@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > This is a known issue on FC4. What you need to do is open the
> > mixer, and look for the switch "analogue/digital output jack" and
> > turn it on. Then your sound will play just fine. I don't know why
> > it default to the off position, but it's frustrating if you don't
> > know about it.
>
> Could you please describe it in more detail? I use the GNOME desktop,
> and have looked for this switch in the
>
> Applications->Sound&Video->Volume Control
>
> tool, but I could not find it. And no, I am not the original poster,
> I just have the same problem.

I don't use Gnome, so I can't describe the precise steps. I think that if you right click on the little volume control applet in the top right-hand corner, it will give you the choice of opening the mixer.

Alternatively, open a terminal window, and run the program "alsamixer". You'll see a screen with many vertical bars, each representing the volume of a particular channel or component. Use the right arrow key to scroll to the analogue/digital output jack. When you come to it, you'll see that it probably has MM under it. Type the 'M' key on the keyboard to unmute it, and your sound will work.

Anand
I still haven't been able to find any analog/digital output switch to
un-mute.  But what turned out to be successful in fixing this problem
was "yum update alsa*"

Jerry