Re: Yum disaster! DELETED mysql!

On 11/8/05, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 19:15, Nat Gross wrote:
> >
> > On 11/7/05, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >   <snip>
> >         You might want to consider switching to either Centos4.x or
> >         fedora FC4, either of which will have mysql 4.x as part of
> >         the distribution so the normal update procedure not only will
> >         work but will include updates for the installed mysql.  Using
> >         Centos has the advantage of being able to expect several
> >         years of update support before you have to re-install again.
> >         FC4 would have more current desktop apps.
> >

> > You know. Maybe I should go for FC4 now. (We decided to make the best
> > of this downtime (of this server) and might switch to Oracle (they
> > have an automatic mysql ----> Oracle migration utility), and they
> > allow in house (for developers) use for free. AND, the
> > stuff/libs/rpm's they prerequisite ships with fc4. But I am worried
> > that FC3 ---> FC4 migration will cause loss of data or other migration
> > 'issues'. I don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe a url or blog
> > describing this experience, can be posted by someone.
>
> Other than mysql, the app versions included in Centos4 would
> be very similar to what you have in FC3 - more so than FC4.
> I wouldn't try an upgrade with either, although others have
> done it with varying results.   The best approach is to
> save everything you've installed yourself, do a clean install
> of the new version, then re-install your own stuff.
> After doing this a few times you learn how to keep track of
> your own changes so it is fairly painless.

Sorry I missed this message (and then some) before. Am not well versed
yet with the Gmail interface with long threads.
Anyhow, am in the middle of installing FC4 now, used the upgrade
option. CD 2 was defective, 3 & 4 missing checksums. Sooooo, there we
are in the midst of FC3 --> FC4 jump. For the good or for the ...
better.
-nat