Re: Redirecting E-mail

Paul Howarth wrote:
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 20:17 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am Di, den 08.11.2005 schrieb Mike McCarty um 19:51:

I have a game which I like to play on my machine. I have compiled it
and it runs fine. Upon completion (winning) of the game, the game sends
e-mail to the user name. This works fine, but I don't use the mail
program for reading mail, I use Thunderbird. So... how do I redirect
the local mail system used by mail to send e-mail sent to jmccarty
to my ISP mail address Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?

I could just try fiddling the source and see whether it works, but
ISTM that this should be a simple thing. Maybe /etc/aliases?

Mike

Right, set an alias. Be aware that this of course will affect any mail
directed to the local user.

jmccarty:               Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You need to run "newaliases" command to rebuild the aliases.db and thus
activating that change.

An alternate is to use a ~/.forward file which just contains the target
email address. Set permissions to 600 for the .forward file.

You may also need to configure your mail server (sendmail by default) to
use a real domain name (as opposed to say, localhost.localdomain), or
you may find that sbc's mail servers reject the mail.

Paul.

And how do I do that? I don't own a domain name.

Anyway, I recall using .forward under Solaris many years ago. I'll give
it a try.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.